Translate

16 July 2012

Jupiter occultation by the Moon!

The Moon occults Jupiter Credit: Gadi Eidelheit
In the early morning of July 15 Stargazers had the chance to witness a planet occultation by our Moon.
An occultation is an event that occurs when one object is hidden by another object that passes between it and the observer.

This time it was Jupiter that was occulted by the Moon. Here you can see on the picture Jupiter going to pass "behind" the Moon. Gadi Eidelheit took his telescopes outside and took pictures/videos of the event.
You can visit his site and read his article on the subject. Visit Gadi's blog HERE.

For my part, I missed the show because I was so tired and my telescope was not with me. The only thing I did was look through my window and look at Jupiter and the Moon. I didn't even bother to take a picture with my phone or nothing. The next morning feeling fresh and awake, I was feeling a little sad that I didn't go out and have a look.

Thanks to Gadi and many others Stargazers who went outside and recorded this event, I had the chance to see it and enjoy (second hand) the event! Thank you Gadi for the Pictures and videos.

Wikipedia: Occultation
Link to Next Lunar Occultation: HERE

Clear skies!

No comments:

Post a Comment